BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, December 12, 2009

What about August being the time of Service?

A few days ago I received a a note in the mail from a family in our neighborhood. It was about their son who is diagnosed with Autism. They have been working for a while to get him treated. They apparently found a doctor in South Carolina who I guess has spoken in front of public audiences. They looked into it, and found that he is a specialized doctor who has worked on many more autistic patients and has been successful many time. So they put on a fund raiser for him. So this morning I went to that. It was actually very very successful. There were so many participating people who donated a good proportion of their money to this boys future. They had Domino's pizza and it was two dollars a slice, along with one dollar brownies, and they also had a silent fund raiser with little things that people had the option to bid on and all the proceeds went towards his hopeful future. I though a lot about this particular thing as I was on my way home. With the huge turn out of willing people who would give enormous amounts of money for a charity made me think of Christmas and how everyone gets in the spirit to serve and do charity work around Christmas. But then I had a thought. People give up their time to do service and give, usually, only around Christmas, at least that's when the most effort gets put into play. If you think about it through a homeless persons point of view, they probably all look forward to Christmas because of all that's done by communities and groups of people. I know that LDS churches usually some kind of service project for other people or people who can't afford their own Christmas. It's actually a very helpful and good idea to help those who are in need for Christmas. But it seems like it's just around Christmas when people think about others. I don't know, but that is just what I have observed. And when you think about it, in August are you focusing on what you can do for others? I don't think so. September? March? April?... Now days there are so many people who are struggling and are in need of regular things that we get to use and are privileged to have. In this hard time we should always be thinking about what we can do for others. I guarantee you that there is a family near you that is in need of a job and money. I live in an area where a lot of the people are their own business owners and have done pretty well (money wise) in the past. But, right now, aren't doing as great as they could be. Our neighborhood is filled with a lot of larger houses so when someone looses their job, they pretty much loose everything. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be hungry and not be able to afford my own food. think that it should always be our priority to think of others first. Especially when you're in the mood to complain, think of all that you have, because what you might wish you could change, might be another's pure wish.

0 comments: