BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Fighting Game For Hunger

About 20 minutes ago I finished the best book in the history  of books! Hunger Games. With my busy life it took me a lot longer to finish than I would ever intend. But when I had the time, I was reading this book. I won't spoil it over my blog but I have to explain some of it in order for it to go along with what I want to post. So it basically tells you in the prologue that North America is now in ruins and is now the nation of Panem. And in Panem there are twelve districts. The Capitol runs Panem and all its districts. The Captiol is a harsh ruling and forces each district to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, which is a fight to the death and is watched by all of Panem. And in district twelve there's a sixteen year old girl named Katniss who just lives with her mom and sister. Her sister is chosen for the Hunger Games and Katniss steps in and goes into the arena for her sister. The book is full of twists and mysteries. Surviving is second nature for her and becomes harder as she fight to win. She has to choose between tough choices that rely on her or her family. I aboslutly loved it.
But as I thought more about this book I realized that there is a kind of lesson behind the book, but it's in a very unspecified way. The book is based on people going against each other in a fight to kill each other for survival. It varies from district to district how weathly people are. District twelve where Katniss is located, is more of a low producing district. Each district produces its own herbs and plants so food also varies. District twelve is surrounded by forrest filled with meat and other food. But it is illegal to hunt out side of the district. People get food by trading things with other people within their district. Each day is pretty much the same, a ritual of finding any way to get food for the night. So when going into the games some people are prepared to fight for their food and others have no idea because it has already been provided for them their whole lives.

I've found that there is some reality in this. Everyday someone, somewhere in the world, is fighting, dying, cyring for food. Right now, India is the country with the largest amount of people suffering from starvation.

This is a really tough subject for some people, me in particular. Our nation is  known as the fat nation. We have more obese people than any other country in the world. And in my opinion, it's because we're greedy. And I'm sure having a million fast food restaurants doesn't help either. But I think that so many people take for gratitd the fact that the amount of food we eat in two weeks, is more food than some people would ever eat in their lives. Adults and children in African countries are satisfied if they get just one simple thing to eat a day. And we have to stuff our faces until we're close to exploding. I hate watching people in the lunch room throw away precious food that they barely even touch! I can't but think of the people who starve because they can't find or afford food for themselves and keep themselves alive. When we're over here being picky about a simple piece of food that isn't going to make a difference. But if we were to give the simple little piece of food to someone who hasn't had a crumb for days, it would make that much of a difference. It's an ongoing fighting game for hunger that nobody has the guts to do anything about. And it's not fairly played.

0 comments: