BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Live your dreams

Dance is one of the most important things in my life. Every time I step on the dance floor I feel like I let out every bad emotion I have. I've been doing dance since I was three. As soon as I started walking, I started dancing. I began in a ballet studio that my mom put me in to see if I would like it. And I ended up loving it! When I was five I was already on the same levels as the first graders and second graders. And I kept progressing from there. In the midst of this, I was also doing gymnastics to help along with dance. As I was growing up my life pretty much revolved around dance and gymnastics. By sixth grade I was a dancing and tumbling machine. But I also really had no life. I was missing out on the normal things that regular sixth graders were doing. In the summer of seventh grade I decided I needed to cut back on what I was getting myself into. I literally never had any time to do anything. Every once in a while when I did have time, I would be doing whatever homework I had. As school started back up I decided to keep doing ballet and just get a personal trainer for tumbling. I joined Ballet West's school of ballet and it was like I nothing changed. I still had every day of my life booked up with dance. But I thought it would be different. So Eighth grade I dropped out of ballet and went to a pointe school closer by and joined a competitive dance crew. This is still my weekly schedule. I tried so hard to give one of them up, but there was something about dance that I couldn't give up.
I always  hear about people whose parents make them go to dance or something, and I always feel so bad because I can't imagine any parent who would make their child do something they didn't want. It was like their child was living the parents dream, and to me, that's wrong. A dream is a dream, and nobody can live someone elses dream.
My thought for a blog post this week was dreams, and living something that you've wanted to do and yearned for your whole life. I've had a lot of crap come from people about me not having a life, but what's a life without a dream? I'm living the dream I've wanted since I could walk and I'm happy about it. I still have time weekly to do other things that I want, and doing something I want makes all the difference. No one can live you're dream, and a dream shouldn't be lived by someone else. I had a dream and now I'm living it.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.
-Martin Luther King Jr.'s I Have a Dream Speech-



0 comments: