BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Evaluation of Walk Two Moons

In the end, I really enjoyed this book! Walk Two Moons is a contemporary book written about a girl named Salamanca, often called Sal, who is having a hard time accepting the fact that her mom is gone, and isn’t returning. Throughout the book she meets a friend, Phoebe, who is an interesting yet determined girl. And most of the time, they get a long really well. Later in the book these two friends find that they have a lot in common after all, and it helps them cope with each other’s issues when they come up. I would say that young adults, teens, would probably enjoy this book better than an elementary student would, even though it is written in a way that a child could read it. This book contains a good amount of life lessons that a young child most likely wouldn’t catch or simply wouldn’t understand. That’s why I loved this book so much, I could relate to a lot of it, and it required me to do some thinking as I read on. Overall, this book was a wonderful piece of work. Starting the book was difficult for me but as I read on, I was sucked in.




At the very start of this book Salamanca is taking a road trip with her grandparents to all the places Sugar, Slamanaca’s mother, visited and where she now rests. During this road trip Sal tells that story of her best friend, Phoebe Winterbottom, whose mother, like Sal's, unexpectedly decides to leave home. Sal meets Phoebe when she and her father move from Bybanks, Kentucky, to Euclid, Ohio. Phoebe is a very interesting girl with a lot of surprises throughout the book. She is very high strung, and antsy. She believes that Mrs. Cadaver, a woman who Sal’s father befriended, has many links to odd situations such as the strange, crazy, lunatic who they once saw and the mysterious notes that keep appearing on her front door. Soon, Sal becomes caught up in Phoebe’s melodramatic life.



When one day Phoebe’s mother disappears and leaves and doesn’t give much of an explanation, Sal is reminded of her own mother and it gets her thinking. As a few days go by, Phoebe’s family is still convinced that she will return. When weeks go by the family begins to get upset and they start to worry. Things start to happen as questions become answered and these answers all come together to form one big solution and answer it all. Sal and her father end up going back to Bybanks, Kentucky to rebuild their life without her mother.



In evaluation, this book is a phenomenal story. It is written in such a way the keeps you reading without being able to stop. As you read you get little pieces of what happened to Sal’s mom but you never know where she went until you reach the end. I loved this book because it was intriguing and kept me wondering what would happen next. Each character was described in a way that I could vividly picture each character and I knew what they were like. I didn’t have to guess what kind of person they were. From the minute I met Phoebe I knew what she was like and what the book might have in store for me with her. As I read on, this book because easier for me to get through because towards the middle, I was finding myself relating simple principles to myself and my life in ways that I hadn’t thought of before.



I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. This isn’t one of the books where only a few people will enjoy it, I know for a fact that there everyone who decided to open this book and read it would find, in one way or another, a relationship to their own lives and that’s why I took so much pleasure in this simple, yet deep story.

0 comments: