BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 1, 2010

History itself

Last night I spent the night up at my grandparents house in Park City and some really cool things came to me while I was there. When I got up there I noticed a brochure thing on their counter and I asked what it was for. It was a family History thing that they went to the night before and he briefly told me about it. It was just about people who have been taken away from their families or people who just simply don't know anything about their history or ancestors so they go out of their way to find something about where they came from and the people before them. And he spent like an hour just telling me about these amazing stories about people from halfway across the world finding their parents or siblings they didn't even know about. And then he talked about the last story that someone talked on, and it was about someone finding out that they were related to someone who was a big part of the civil war. And then that started a whole new conversation about history. Me and my grandparents are history freaks. I absolutely adore learning about history and the events and victories that have led up to my time. My grandpa said that as he's gotten older he's become so much more knowledgeable of world history. And that it's not just dates and events anymore, it's the things that have led up to those events and the real things that happened on those days and knowing these things has made him appreciate history so much more and look at our world in such a different perspective. My grandparents have traveled all aroudn Europe and they went down by the phillipeans and just about everywhere else. But they don't just go down there to enjoy being in a different country, they do it to look at the history behind that country and the monuments that aren't talked of but that are big parts in the role of that country and even the world.
This all got me thinking, being in junior high we take history and geography and Utah studies and classes like that, but no one really retains any of the stuff we learn. History is such a big deal because if you don't know your history, how're your kids going to know, and their kids etc.. There are people in our world who are denying history and if we don't continue to spread the word, how're we going to be able to go against those people who decide to deny the background of our world? History is so cool, and it's something we all need to have a good knowledge of because somewhere down the line, someone's paid the price.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another.
-Max Beerbohm

0 comments: