BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, October 17, 2009

What has become of this world!?!

For the past few years I have witnessed a lot happen in our crazy world. It is amazing to me how the world can change massively in such a small amount of time. When I think about these changes the first thing that pops into my head is movies.


I remember about three years ago our neighborhood had a "movie in the park". In our neighborhood park people set up a sheet and a projector and we watched a movie. The movie was The Wild. And it was about animals escaping into the wild from a zoo, I think. I don't remember the whole movie but I do remember the plot. This movie was a rated G movie and was supposedly a good movie for kids and families. I do remember that it was very lame and boring but this was not what stuck out to me when I watched this movie. I can remember going to get popcorn from the candy stands and hearing a very alarming conversation between the giraffe and the hippo. THE GIRAFFE AND THE HIPPO!! Come on people! The conversation had to do with what the girl hippo was wearing. The giraffe was telling the girl hippo that she could run faster without her sea shells... but in a perverted kind of way. I just sat there in awe. Little things like this would happen periodically throughout the movie. And there was some swearing too. Remember, this movie was supposedly rated G. This was supposed to be a family show. Even though the little kids may not understand what any of the inappropriate parts mean, doesn't mean they still can't ask questions. And most likely the questions will be asked to their parents and their parents will wonder where they heard that from.. and so on and so on. It is just this big vicious cycle. Little by little movie critics are letting the little things and not so bad things slide. Soon, PG movies are going to be our PG-13 movies. Who wants their kids watching that?
Another thing that I've been told has changed very dramatically is the pressure teenage girls have on their appearances. My grandma told me that when she was my age there wasn't nearly this much to worry about. Every girl has at least something they don't like about the way they look. Some girls are more confident than others and have a higher self esteem while others don't. This has always been the case. But young adults have such a higher competition than ever. Looks are the "thing". The world protrays that looks mean everything. But they don't. Young actresses usually have the "perfect" body to some girls. But, believe it or not, there is something about the way they look that they personally don't like. So many bad things come from this problem. Girls develope eating disorders and can mentally screw up their minds. I have seen it happen with my own eyes.
I wish that I could say none of this affects me, but it does. I definately don't look at myself like I am the most adorable thing on this planet, but I do try to see the good more than the bad because eventually I could be mentally and physicallly ruined. My only advice would be to not pay attention to the world. Because, quite frankly, they are wrong and try to put things in your mind that do not need to be there. In the long run, it will only hurt you.

0 comments: