BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Us being "Supersized"

I was thinking about what I should write about on this weeks post and I getting this same thought in my head that I, in particular, have a strong opinion for.
Do we take a good look around the world we live in? In previous blogs I presented the topic of the scary world we live in and all the dangers that lurke around us in every day life. What can we do exactly? Really, there isn't much except for being seriously over protective of what you see and do each second and minute of the day. But the topic that kept popping into my noggin was the fact of the basic "size" of the United States. It's time we look at the way we "size things". What I am basically refering to is the food we eat and the amount of food we Americans take in every day. Or just the basic thought of how much is a "good" proportion for what we need to get into our system each day. Study's have shows that us Americans tend to run larger than the rest of our world. We never know when to stop eating. Something that I have learned in the past foods and health classes that I've been in is that most Americans dont actually eat the average proportion size that we're suposed to. I don't find this hard to believe. America has been called the "fat" country. If you think hard enough about it, you'll begin to realize that, in a way, we kind of are. But also, something that fascinates me is that we are also the number one country for eating disorders. Crazy huh? Obesity, Bulimia, Anorexia you name it, we've got it. In my life I have known many people with eating disorders and seen what it's done to them physically and mentally. And, let me tell ya, it's definately not a good sight to watch happen day to day.
In the other country's such as france, I always wondered how they weren't the fat people because they are the major wine drinkers and they come up with terrible foods that don't do any good to our bodies, but yet, they're still the healthy looking ones. My mom told me something that has stuck with me and will stick with me forever. One day I approached this question upon her and this was her reply: "People from other countries know what a single portion is, and they don't eat any more than what is necessary". If only we could take this in our daily lives and use it we wouldn't be know as the "fat" country, which makes us just sound like a bunch of huge moose that don't know how to control what goes in our mouth and that just sounds extremely sad for our part.
Considering that today is Halloween this whole entry is just being thrown off the roof! We send our kids out of their houses to get play fetch with the neighbors for candy. Is this helping our kids know proper health? I would think NOT! And then for Christmas we think we need to stuff our stockings full of candy. Are these things really necessary? I would just hope that someday us Americans will think about what is good and what is bad for our bodies and hopefully this will add a bit more knowledge to us about food.

0 comments: